Thursday, January 14, 2010

Part of the Cloud Crowd

As communication technology continues to develop and change, so do I. During the decade of the Internet 2.0 Renaissance, I've collected quite a few ways to spread ideas: email, blogs, Facebook, text messaging, Twitter, Forums, instant messaging, Skype, Google Wave... they combine to become this semi-chaotic swirl of information, blowing briefly worded ideas around like leaves in an updraft.

I step into this world often, the text moving above, around, and through me. I grasp at intriguing threads that float by and I pull at them, seeing where they lead. At this speed, you don't so much read as absorb. You don't so much seek out information as roll around in it and wait for something to come in handy later.

In many ways, I am thrilled by it. I am more up to date with friends, news, Education, Sports, Weather, etc. than ever before. The Web can now be both an extension of my mind and an almost frighteningly constant connection of my mind to others. Our intellects are being uploaded into the Cloud, and we are solving problems with the wisdom of the Crowd.

And yet, ambivalence rains on me like a lukewarm shower. As we contribute to and become part of the Cloud, what becomes of the rich internal lives we lead? If intimacy and immediacy can be more and more achieved through the Web, what then of those loved ones who we had specially chosen to be more intimate and immediate with than anyone else?

Ironically, I know that what I think is my rich internal life has become so despite my growing up with technologies that previous generations fretted about in the same way I am fretting about Social Networking. Within ten years, I will probably wonder why I even questioned it, as there will certainly be newer, even more socially innovative technologies pushing the envelope even further.

But I don't care. Everything may be speeding up, and in this I feel I have to try and take my time.

No comments: